Introduction to Philosophy HL049 (12 Weeks)
QQI Level 5 MINOR AWARD IN PHILOSOPHY 5N3506
This course aims to enable the learner to appreciate the relevance and impact of philosophy and philosophical thought on related subjects, develop critical thought processes and analysis
- Develop an awareness of the pre-Socratic philosophers. Become familiar with the writings of Socrates, Plato and Aristotle.
- Controversies in metaphysics.
- The debate between rationalists, empiricists and idealists concerning the sources and limits of human knowledge.
- Key political and moral philosophical theories including those of Plato, Locke Hobbes, Kant , Marx and Mill.
- The existence of God and the problem of evil in the context of the philosophy of religion.
- Views of existentialist philosophers including Sarte, Kiekegaard and Nietzsche.
- Elements of informal logic in own and others arguments.
- Methods of deduction and induction.
- Present learning, investigation and argument according to academic and philosophical conventions orally and in writing.